There are two types of reservations. If the library owns an item, but it currently is checked out, you can place a hold to receive the item upon its return. Some new titles are in high demand and have long lists of patrons on hold. You can place holds in person, by telephone, or online. The second type of reservation is an interlibrary loan. In this instance, the New Britain Public Library will procure an item for you from another library in the state. Interlibrary loans generally are available only for items which are not currently in New Britain's collection and are not newly released. You can place an interlibrary loan in person, by telephone, or through the interlibrary loan request form on this web site.
How to Place Holds Online
- Click on "Library Catalog" from the top navigation bar.
- Choose either Main Library or Jefferson Branch catalog.
- Enter your search terms and choose author, title, etc. from the pull down menu to the right. Click the "Search" button or hit the enter key.
- On the "Search Results" page, click on "Details" box for the item you want.
- Click on the "Place Hold" link in the left navigation bar.
- Enter the 14-digit barcode (no spaces) from your library card in the "Library Card #" box. Enter CHANGEME in the PIN box, unless you previously had chosen another password. Choose a pick up location from the pull down menu. NEWBRITMN is the Main Library. NEWBRITJEF is the Jefferson Branch. Click the "Place Hold" button.
- The following screen will indicate that the hold has been placed. Click "OK."
- Choose "Logout" in the top navigation of the following screen.
Important: If the catalog indicates that the item is currently in the library, please allow us 24 hours to pull it from the shelf.
Do not hesitate to contact the reference desk at (860) 224-3155 ext. 124 if you have questions or encounter any problems.